Skip to main content

wondering...

Hi Ms. Gail,

I am Kakay Rico, Erick John Rico's sister. Erick John was your student in Ateneo in 2002, I am not sure if you still remember him as your student (but I wish you do...)... in your article about him you wrote this:

Family Sociology, and only nine other classmates. Our sessions often turned into group therapy where we defined relations with parents, siblings, and children. Every time this happened, Eric wouldn't let me off the hook, wheedling me to share something embarrassingly personal or playfully tweaking me to lose control and display my gender bias.

I am just curious if you could remember stuff he shared during your class sessions about siblings, parents and family relationships... if you still do... is it ok to share them with me?

Thanks po...

hoping,
-Kakay


-------








Hello, Kay. I remember Erick most fondly. He was a good soul. No mean bone in his body. I caught him at a time when he had not yet lost his need to bleed off his impulse for excitation and curiosity about how the world ran and what was in store for him. He was, I think, to his mind, invincible and there was yet time for him to get serious in that vague out there that is someday.

People were very important to him. His family most of all. He was largely accepting of the people he loved. No complaints, even on the matter of his "disappointing" them with his academic foibles. He knew that whatever "discipline" he was subjected to, it stemmed from his people loving him.

In his own way, he was trying to grow up, Kay. But what really touched me about him was the fact that he had a very good heart. He had that gift of understanding that people needed someone who wouldn't hurt them. He tried to be that for everybody he met, manogbaligya man mani sa dalan or teacher man. Instead, Erick would rather take the hurt meant for someone else in order to protect others.

Answering your question is making me cry, Kay. It's very rare to find a soul like Erick.

I wish you well in your healing. My best to your mom.

G.

----

Dear Ma'am Gail,

Thank you for replying... it means a lot to me.

He was indeed one protective brother.

It's been almost 7 years naman gud... and every time i would think of him, i would wonder how he would have been, like could he be this typical NGO worker or some yuppy guy with those fancy suits...  or i would wonder who he would have looked like - would he have papa jun's (uncle's) features or  would he still look the same only stocky...  or would he have stayed in the country for work or would he be like tatay (an OFW) this time helping out nanay and tatay... Daghan lang ko maisip labi na each time I meet someone who kind of look like him or someone who is as kulit as him or plainly someone who reminds me a lot of him.

I have nephews now ma'am gail, and one of them reminds me of him - the way he looked like when we were little.

I hope to meet you po pag uwi ko diyan in July.

:) Kakay
|


Comments

  1. wala ko nag eastwood. na natl museum mi. andun pa yung SLIMS ... ung exhibit nina epoy. gusto niyo adto? libre sa museum entrance pag sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks jemi!

    hugs, hugs din!

    saan ka na????

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sunday??? pwedeng next sundays? hehe! mag beauty rest ko for the elections!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nasa HK na ako... na-tempt tuloy mag disney land. ;) pero hanggang tempt lang.

    MWAH!
    trip

    ReplyDelete
  5. uy sayang! maybe your saving it for later pag double kana. yihee!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

crap!

ok. i am in love with chuck. weird. weird. coz i have not really felt like this kind of obsession with nate before.  but with chuck... i am like super duper pathetic! :) ok - he's geeky way is so ahmmmmmm cute. i mean, wish there are a lot of geeks who are as hot as him. hehehe! (hehe paging jayjay!  )

old photos